You must cancel your license plates online or in person at a nearby DMV office. You will receive a receipt for your plate return. Please submit that receipt with either a bill of sale, transfer of title, or trade in certificate. If you have any questions, please contact Lawrence Patterson directly at 203-891-4724.
Motor Vehicle Adjustments:
- Bring proof to the Assessor's Office
- Acceptable types of proof include plate receipt with a bill of sale, letter from insurance company showing the vehilce identification number, the date that the vehicle was totally destroyed,and a copy of the police report if the car was stolen and not recovered, a copy of the out-of-state registration,
- Use Orange 107 for town tax code on registration to prevent being taxed by wrong town.
- Use this link to access the CT DMV for questions and forms http://www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp
- PLEASE NOTE IF THE PLATE WAS TRANSFERRED FROM ONE VEHICLE TO ANOTHER; NO PAPERWORK IS REQUIRED AS THIS WILL BE UPDATED ON THE NEXT LISTING.
SALE of your Motor Vehicle:
A copy of the dated bill of sale.
A copy of the dated purchase agreement showing the trade-in or odometer statement.
A letter from the insurance company indentifying the vehicle and date of loss.
A receipt from the junkyard identifying the vehicle and date junked.
- A copy of the dated donation letter from the charity receiving the vehicle.
MOVED – OUT –OF-STATE:
A copy of your dated out-of-state registration.
A dated letter from the bank or repossession company.
TRANSFERRED your title *:
A copy of the dated and signed title indicating new owner, address & date of transfer.
*No proration for transfers between family members unless that family member registered the vehicle out-of-state.
A letter from your insurance company indentifying the vehicle and indicating that the vehicle was stolen and not recovered.
QUESTIONS – 203-891-4724 FAX 203-891-2185